When Alberta Education directs a request to the Superintendent of Schools for the services of district staff, procedures for identification, selection, and reporting shall be as follows:
- The Assistant Superintendent responsible for the district results most closely related to the activity shall:
- identify suitable staff,
- obtain a recommendation from the staff member's immediate supervisor, and
- make a recommendation to the Superintendent of Schools.
- The Superintendent of Schools reserves the right to refuse a request for service or, if a request for a specific staff member has been made, to nominate an alternate staff member.
- District staff shall be approved on the basis of the following criteria:
- knowledge of the topic, and/or
- knowledge of the district point of view and ability to represent it.
- Agreement as to the nature and extent of the commitment required shall be obtained from Alberta Education, the nominees and their immediate supervisors prior to the approval of staff participation in Alberta Education activities, including committees.
- The approved names of staff selected shall be submitted to Alberta Education by the Superintendent of Schools. A copy of the letter of approval shall be distributed to the nominee and to the nominee's immediate supervisor, and submitted to the nominee's employee file.
- Alberta Education shall be requested to contact the nominee directly, in writing, with a copy to the nominee's immediate supervisor and Human Resources Leaves of Absence, to confirm the activity dates and times.
- Charges to Alberta Education for the release of staff shall be at the cost of a replacement supply staff member plus overhead.
- Approved staff member participation in an Alberta Education activity shall be with salary and benefits.
- Human Resources shall provide, to the Superintendent of Schools, an annual summary report of district staff participating in Alberta Education activities.